Ever since moving out of my ex’s house and into my first flat by myself, I’ve found myself crawling to each payday. My hair’s getting longer and more unkempt from not being able to afford a hair cut and I’m still stuck in my winter clothes because I can’t refresh my wardrobe.
Here are 10 other things we all do when we’re skint:
It’s lucky I sometimes get sent free shit or I’d be fucked.
1. The ever familiar breath holding moment as you tap your contactless card onto the Waitrose pin pad and dread having to put your 6 pack of Diet Coke and net of satsumas back.
2. Work lunches go from Korean BBQ Pork ready meals and San Pellegrino at week 1 to Supernoodles and tap water at week 3.
3. You weigh up whether you can get by on 1 square of toilet paper per loo visit so you don’t have to buy loo roll.
4. You buy a hip flask for a night out and you wonder why you’ve never done this before. £4 for a bottle of vodka and 45p lime and sodas all night?!? I should take this shit to Dragon’s Den!
5. You decide that chips and mushy peas from the takeaway is a valid dinner option because it’s cheaper than buying vegetables and making a healthy meal.
6. You find yourself rummaging through last year’s summer wardrobe to find anything that could pass as trendy for this summer. Fingers crossed tie dye jumpsuits come back.
7. Whilst everyone is jetting off on holiday, you’re searching the travel websites for the cheapest way to get you away. Hmm I can go to Moldova for 2 nights for just £80!
8. There’s no such thing as saving. Your mates are buying houses or Louboutins that they’ve saved up months for but you can’t get to payday with more than 12p in your account and that’s without actually buying yourself anything – how are you going to put any of it away?
9. You wake up early each morning and wonder whether you should check your bank balance or let fate decide if you can pay your rent this month.
10. You feel like a complete scrub any time you have to ask to borrow some money. That TLC song was written for you. You know your friends and family don’t mind but you play it cool like, ‘it’s OK if not, I don’t really need to pay for my travel to work this week.’
Yeeeeah, being poor really sucks.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.